Calbond offers a complete line of PVC coated conduit, fittings and conduit accessories for the protection of electrical conduit systems in highly corrosive environments.
- Corrosion Protection
- Calbond PVC coated conduit UL6 listed with both the zinc coating and PVC coating as primary protection against corrosion. PVC coated conduit is restricted for use with threaded fittings only (threadless connector not permitted).
- The ease of installation and the unit cost of materials makes PVC coated conduit an obvious choice for the budget-conscious contractor. PVC coated conduit is a lower cost alternative to stainless steel in many cases.
- Zinc Protected
- Conduit systems without adequate zinc protection underneath the PVC coating are more likely to suffer catastrophic corrosion damage. This is why NEMA RN-1, section 3.1.1 requires the proper and correct treatment of galvanized conduit before it is PVC coated. The standard says, “The surface shall be cleaned in such a manner that the galvanized surface of the conduit is not harmed or eroded.” If the zinc coating is not adequate, the conduit will not comply with NEMA RN-1—a standard in which Calbond is fully compliant in all respects.
- Cost of Corrosion
- At $2.2 trillion, the annual cost of corrosion worldwide is over 3% of the world’s GDP. The direct effects of corrosion cost U.S. industry and the government $276 billion annually, according to a study commissioned by the U.S. Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)…and that is only the direct cost of corrosion. Indirectly, there are additional costs to be considered, such as the labor required to replace corroded or failed conduit systems.
In certain electrical installations, PVC coated conduit may be the best replacement for metallic conduit – particularly installations found underground.
Calbond PVC Coated Conduit and Conduit Fittings serve these industries:
- Chemical & Petrochemical Plants
- Wastewater & Water Treatment Facilities
- Power Plants
- Pulp & Paper Mills
- Pharmaceutical & Cosmetics
- Transportation & Infrastructure
- Marine & Coastal Facilities
- Offshore Platforms
- Cooling Towers
- Fertilizer Plants